Friday, February 25, 2011

If I were born a girl...

          If I were born a female, my life would be somewhat different mentally, emotionally, and physically. As I observed in everyday life, I noticed that most girls get along better with males and talk to more males than females. For me, I talk to much more girls than guys, but if I were a girl, I would probably prefer to hang out and talk to boys. Also, I would probably be more caring to other people because being a male, we generally are less caring towards others and females tend to care more about others. I would probably worry more about my appearance if I were a female. This is because females do not asks the males out, so they have to look their best in order to get a male they're interested in to ask them out. As for being physically different, I would probably not be as fit as I am as a male. Males tend to believe that being physically fit with a nice body would attract females, but if I were a female, I would care more about my facial appearance than my body appearance. Also, I would probably not work as hard at my job because at my job females get paid less than males.

         I feel that all of these changes would probably come true because gender roles are implied in America. Females are supposed to be more caring than females. They are suppose care more about their appearance. Males are usually suppose to take out the trash or go to work to provide for family. For example, a woman is expected to do the housework and cleaning while the male is suppose to work and provide for the family. Although this is not always the case, the majority of the time it is. I hear more about males working and females tending to the house than females working while males tend to the house. This is primarily because of the 1900s. The idea of a nuclear family where the father works, the mother is at home cleaning and making food, and the children going to school greatly influenced American societies today. Also, in the 1900s, females were seen as inferior to males, so they got paid less. In America today, they are still paid less than males. Society has taught me that gender roles allow the male and female to have distinct characteristics and behaviors that shapes the society it is today.

No comments:

Post a Comment